Pet donations are still needed for the NY & NJ area who were hit by Hurricane Sandy. Being located in New Jersey, Pedro and I continue to see the need for supplies for our neighbors at the shore. There are many ways you can help, even if you do not have funds for supplies.
- Spread the word via social media, like facebook, it is free! One of our favorite facebook pages dedicated to Hurricane Sandy animals is Hurricane Sandy Lost & Found Pets. Scroll through the photos of those animals that are lost/found and see if you can find a match. Share photos to get the word out.
- Foster. Many animals also need temporary foster homes while their families rebuild. Sites like Foster A Sandy Pet can help match pets with potential foster families.
- Donations. NJ/NY appreciates everyone that has donated and continues to donate. As long as you bring the donations, we will continue to distribute them.
Requested supplies include:
• Food – Dog & Cat(wet or dry), Rabbit, Bird, Etc…
• Clean Bedding, Sheets, Blankets
• Clean Towels
• Litter & Litter Pans
• Food and Water Bowls
• Cleaning Supplies
• Dog, Cat, Bird, Etc…Toys
• Cages, Crates, Runs
• Dog Houses
• Cat Condos
• Collars & Leashes
Below is a list of those assisting in donation distribution or needing donations:
- Briarwood Veterinary Hospital is taking donations for the many displaced animals of Hurricane Sandy. All items will be distributed directly to NJ Shore Animal Shelters and Animal Rescue. You can drop off donations during business hours or ship. Their address is: Briarwood Veterinary Hospital, 1100 Route 9 South, Howell, NJ 07731
- Guyon Rescue is located in Staten Island NY, an area hit very hard but not mentioned in the news outlets like the Jersey Shore was. Guyon Rescue is collecting all types of donations, including pet, and helps to distribute them among the area. I personally work with one of the volunteers here and they have been doing great work. They are also on facebook. You can ship or drop off donations. Someone is there 24/7. They are located at 575 Mill Road, Staten Island NY, 10306.
- The Monmouth County SPCA is in need of all items and are operating out of their Pet Pantry at 264 Wall Street
Eatontown, NJ 07724 to distribute items for pet owners in need.
Please feel free to post in the comments section if you have any additional information you would like to share regarding needs. NY & NJ appreciate your help!